How to surrender an out-of-state license

To surrender an out-of-state license and acquire an Idaho license, an individual must:

*Be a permanent resident of Idaho & be able to provide proof of physical address. You will have 90 days to transfer your DL/ID cards and vehicles to Idaho upon establishing permanent residency--Call county for accepted documents (208) 642-6003

*Be able to provide proof of identity---Out of state Drivers’ license or Identification card or another acceptable proof of identification (Passport, military ID, school transcripts w/photo)

*Out-of-state applicants are required to take and pass a written test – you can find a PDF copy of the manual online here

*If the out-of-state license has been expired for over 25 months a skills test will also be required in addition to the written test

There are currently 10 States who must present all documentation required for an Idaho Real ID (Star Card) when transferring to Idaho unless your current out of state license includes the Real ID. These states are: 



District of Columbia


New Mexico

New York

New Jersey




(Note, Stars from these states do not transfer) 

Courthouse location

Payette County,
1130 3rd. Ave. N., Payette, Id. 83661

Get Directions
Contact us

Contact Information

Email Directory
General Courthouse Hours

Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM