Payette County

Official website



Here you will find upcoming events and general information

Upcoming Events


Exciting News!! The Comprehensive Plan is in its final stage and the Board of County Commissioners will hold a Public Hearing to consider its adoption  on Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 1:15 P.M. in the County Courthouse. This is the time to make any comments on the Draft Plan and Map. Below we have provided the documents for you to review. This draft reflects the favorable recommendations sent from the Planning and Zoning Commission.  

If you have any questions, please reach out to the Planning and Zoning Office.


Draft Comprehensive Plan Draft Comprehensive Plan Draft Map 
No Appendices Comp Plan Full Comp Plan Comp Plan Map Updated May 2022


Contact Us

  • Follow the Facebook page: 
  • Email questions and comments: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Call with questions or comments: 208-642-6018

 The Comprehensive Plan is intended to provide:

  • Comprehensive overview of the County at the present time                                        
  • Proposed goals, objectives, and policies
  • A guideline for future growth and development

Does the Comprehensive Plan apply to you?

The geographic extent of the comprehensive plan includes the entire county, including public land areas. However, municipalities in the county (Payette, Fruitland, and New Plymouth) have their own plans that apply inside each city's Area of City Impact.                                        

Frequently asked questions:

Will this affect how your property is zoned?

The Idaho Local Land Use Planning Act requires that zoning districts, as well as zone changes, special permits and zoning ordinances, are in accordance with the adopted comprehensive plan. So, while changes to the zoning map and ordinances will not occur during the comprehensive planning process, they might occur after the new plan is adopted to ensure that the plan is properly implemented.

What is the County's Role and Function?

Counties are the primary unit of local government in Idaho and serve as political subdivisions of the sate to provide services as required by Idaho State Law. Payette County provides the following services:

  • Financial auditing, budget, and tax services.
  • Land use planning, zoning, and code enforcement.
  • Election services.
  • Landfill, roads and bridges.
  • Emergency Services, hazard mitigation, and preparedness.
  • Public facilities, fairgrounds.    
  • Human resources, indigent services, and guardianship.
  • Mosquito abatement and weed control.   

If you have more questions about the above departments. Please, visit their individual pages.

What is the County's Relationship with Cities?

There are three incorporated cities within Payette County that provides government services within their respective city boundaries. The County strives to cooperate with these incorporated cities to advance the goals of the comprehensive plan, and to plan for growth and development in areas where cross jurisdictional boundaries exist, including:

  • Road and transit.
  • Trails, open space, and public lands.
  • Water quality protection.
  • Compatible development adjacent to city boundaries.      



NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN Beginning March 1, 2023 the Payette County DMV office will close for lunch at 1:00 p.m. and reopen at 2:00 p.m.

Sandra Clason

Payette County Assessor 










NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN the Payette County Planning and Zoning Commission will meet the second Thursday of each month in 2021 as scheduling permits, except for the months of August and November when the meeting will be held the third Thursday. The meetings will be held at the Payette County Courthouse, 1130 3rd Avenue North, Courtroom #1, Payette, Idaho starting at 7:00 P.M.

Patti S. Nitz

Planning and Zoning Administrator




Before You Can Transfer A Development Right, you must prove:

THAT the “Receiving” property does not qualify for a building right; AND

THAT the “Receiving” Property meets the following minimums:

Is designated as agricultural on the comprehensive plan and is at least twenty (20) acres in size; OR: Is designated as residential on the comprehensive plan, but is not located within a city area of impact, and is at least three (3) acres in size; OR: Is designated as residential on the comprehensive plan, located within a city area of impact, is at least two (2) acres in size, and is in compliance with the following:

As a condition of obtaining a transfer into a city impact area, an applicant shall show: 1. That the building site is compatible with the city's expansion plans. 2. That the building site does not interfere with any projected rights of way. AND the applicant shall enter into a written agreement with the county: 1. That when the land surrounding the receiving property becomes an approved subdivision, the receiving property shall become a part of the subdivision and any improvements required to make the receiving property a part of the subdivision shall be made at the owners' expense. 2. That in the event the sending property is adjacent to or abuts the receiving property and the sending property is subdivided, the receiving property shall become a part of the subdivision and all improvements on the receiving property shall be made at the receiving property owners' expense. All improvements shall be made to conform to then existing city subdivision requirements.

THAT the “Receiving” property is not prime farm ground; or if the “Receiving” property is within a city impact area and the proposed site is compatible with city expansion plans and projected rights of way; AND

THAT the transfer would not create more than 4 residential sites on the Original Parcel of the "Receiving" property. If there are 4 residences on the original, the property would have to apply through the  subdivision process to obtain additional building rights.

THAT the “Receiving” Building Site is not in the Flood Plain. AND

THAT the “Sending” property does qualify for a building right; AND

THAT the transfer of the development right from the “Sending” property would preserve prime farm ground; or THAT The transfer of the right from the “Sending” property would eliminate residential structures in undesirable locations such as flood plain areas; or THAT the transfer of the right from the “Sending” property would preserve open spaces; or THAT the transfer of the right from the "Sending" property would preserve land that is critical to wild life habitat which is in need of protection.

IN ADDITION, if 4 residences exist along any PRIVATE roadway, there shall be no additional building rights/permits available to the area served by that road unless and until the roadway serving the area is brought up to existing current County right of way and design standards and the roadway is accepted by the Board of County Commissioners.

The Transfer of Building Rights may require two public hearings. The first hearing is with the Planning and Zoning Commission. Their decision will be in the form of a recommendation to the Board of County Commissioners. The Board makes the final decision.  The applicant or a representative must attend all hearings.  If the “Receiving” parcel lies within a city impact area, the application must be presented to the respective city for their recommendation to any decisions being made. It is our office’s recommendation that the applicant attend the meeting(s) by the city to give input to that body that will be making a recommendation.      

At the point of a decision to approve, an agreement will be drafted by the County that must be signed by all parties involved in the transaction including the County. The applicant must record the agreement at the County Clerk's office within ninety (90) days of approval or the approval will be withdrawn and the application process will have to start over with no refund of fees. Once the agreement has been signed and recorded an application for a residential building permit may be submitted.


It shall be at the discretion of the persons selling and buying a transferable development right to determine whether a right will be transferred permanently or will expire if not exercised within a set period of time. In the event the seller and the buyer determine that the development right must be used within a set period of time, that agreement and the accompanying time limitations shall be set out in the application. The buyer and seller shall be responsible for recording such documents as necessary to put subsequent purchaser on notice of the transferred development right.

Congratulations!!!  You have passed the hurdle of determining that the “Sending” property has a residential building site to transfer.  The next stipulation is that the "Sending" property must be of greater agricultural value than that of the “Receiving” property.  

When filling out the applications, each property’s information will need to be accurate and kept separate.

It is conceivable that the applicant may not be the owner of either parcel but is applying on a contingency basis.  Our office will need a complete name and mailing address for all owners as well as the applicants for correspondence purposes.

Sending and Receiving parcel addresses can be as simple as the address of an existing home on the property in question or as vague as a crossroad and city, i.e. 2 miles South of Fruitland on Elmore Road.

In your own words, describe what is your request and how it complies with the Transfer Ordinance. Again, a clear, concise narrative will best express your ideas to the Commission. You will also submit this or a form of this orally to the commission and/or Board at the time of the Public Hearing.

This conceptual plan of the property will need to show the proposed site of the new dwelling, any existing structures on the property, access to public roadways, parking areas, easements, utilities, retention basins, setbacks, North arrow and any other features that may be applicable to the property.

This is a metes and bounds description in its entirety that can be found on the deed describing the last transfer of  the property(s). It will need to be very accurate as it will be printed as a public notice in the local newspaper and will be included in the recorded Transfer of Development Right Agreement. It will also dictate where the home may be located.

The names of those persons owning property 300 ft from your property lines will be provided by Planning and Zoning staff. If the property(s) are within a mile of a CAFO, the applicant must provide the CAFO owner's name and address.

Information relating the irrigation of the sending and receiving properties which describes the availability of water, the nature of the irrigation delivery and/or drainage application systems. If the receiving property lies within an irrigation district and will receive water from such district the applicant must demonstrate in writing that the applicant has met with and obtained a recommendation from the district affected by the application.

Recommendation by the affected road department and any other entities recommendation which will result from or be required by the transfer of a development right should also be attached.



The owner of the “Sending” property must supply a title report on the property to notify all lien holders who claim any interest in the property of their intention to move a right to build. In the event a development right is transferred without the consent of ALL lien holders, Idaho Code makes the transfer void ab initio.

The application must be complete before it can be accepted by the P&Z office.  The Administrator reserves the right to hold but not officially accept this application until total review is accomplished and all required information is submitted. The Planning and Zoning Administrator shall have the authority to require additional specific information relevant to the consideration of any application.


Transfer Specifications


Payette County allows for one division of a property after March of 1979.  The original property may have one residence on it.  The first segregation may have one residence on it.  Any further division requires a public hearing.  One way to create another building right is through the Transfer of Development Right process.   

It is recommended that an applicant review the Payette County Code regarding TDRs.   The following are only some considerations when applying for  a Transfer.


{slider=1. Application:}
In the event a person desires to move a development right or a residential building permit from one parcel of land which qualifies for a single-family dwelling building permit to another parcel of land that does not qualify for a single-family dwelling building permit, that person shall file an application for that purpose with the zoning administrator.

{slider=2. Sending Property:}
A parcel of land which is Zoned Ag and qualifies for a residential dwelling building permit and which has been designated as land which should be preserved because it is prime agricultural land, is in an area where open spaces need to be preserved or because the land is critical wildlife habitat or which needs to be protected to enhance and maintain rural character of lands may qualify as sending property.

{slider=3. Receiving Property:}
A parcel of land which does not qualify for a residential building right, which is not designated as meeting the criteria set out in subsection C (#2) of this section may qualify as a receiving property subject to the following conditions:

  • Is located within a city area of impact, designated as Residential on the Comprehensive Plan,  and is at least two (2) acres in size
  • is designated as Rural Residential on the Comprehensive Plan and is at least three (3) acres in size
  • is designated as Ag land on the Comprehensive Plan and is at least twenty (20) acres in size.


{slider=4. Disqualification From Further Permits:}
Upon the transfer of a development right, the sending parcel shall be disqualified in perpetuity from receiving any further building permits. This disqualification shall not prohibit any landowner from later applying for a rezone and subdivision approval after fifty (50) years from the approval of any application to transfer a development right.

{slider=5. Signatures:}
No transfer of a development right will occur without the signature of all lien holders and other parties who have an interest in the sending parcel.  In the event a development right is transferred without the permission or signature of a lien holder or a party in interest, the purported transfer shall be void ab initio.  To insure that the Board has the information required by this section, the applicant shall provide the zoning administrator with a title report from a title insurance company, which shall show all lien holders and all parties who have an interest in the property from which the development right is being transferred.

{slider=6. Time Limit:}

1) At the point of a decision to approve, an agreement will be drafted by the County that must be signed by all parties involved in the transaction including the County. The agreement must be recorded within ninety (90) days of approval or the approval will be withdrawn and the application process will have to start over with no refund of fees.

2) A development right must be used within five (5) years. In the event a development right is not used within five (5) years of its approval by the Board and if it has not been extended prior to its expiration, it shall expire and become null and void. No building permit shall be issued based upon that expired transferred development right. Once a TDR has expired, an applicant cannot have the expired TDR renewed, but must go through the complete process of applying for a TDR, which includes submitting an application and having a public hearing.

{slider=7. The Location of the transferred building site.}
The building site shall be designated by a legal description provided by the applicant and shall indicate the area proposed by the Sending Area Site Plan Map. (Check Payette County Code 8-5-10-R – City Impact Area)

It is recommended that applicant’s review the Payette County Code regarding TDRs.

Note: Applications submitted prior to the closing date do not automatically place a proposal on the agenda. Application content may limit the number of items allowed on an agenda.


  JANUARY   January 12, 2023 December 21, 2022  
  FEBRUARY   February 9, 2023 January 18, 2023  
  MARCH   March 9, 2023 February 15, 2023  
  APRIL   April 13, 2023 March 22, 2023  
  MAY   May 11, 2023 April 19, 2023  
  JUNE   June 8, 2023 May 17, 2023  
  JULY   July 13, 2023 June 21, 2023  
  AUGUST   August 17, 2023 July 26, 2023  
  SEPTEMBER   September 14, 2023 August 23, 2023  
  OCTOBER   October 12, 2023 September 20, 2023  
  NOVEMBER   November 9, 2023 October 18, 2023  
  DECEMBER   December 14, 2023 November 22, 2023  


1/12/2021 N/A   1/14/2021 12/22/2020
2/9/2021 DOUBLE DIAMOND STKHOUSE (1 WK) 208-278-9282 2/11/2021 1/20/2021
2/23/2021 DOUBLE DIAMOND STKHOUSE (1 WK) 208-278-9282 2/25/2021 N/A
3/9/2021 HIDEAWAY GRILL 208-642-4433 3/11/2021 N/A
3/23/2021 JIMBO'S 208-739-9092 3/25/2021 N/A
4/6/2021 SALSA GRILL 208-642-6123 4/8/2021 N/A
4/20/2021 MANDARIN RESTAURANT (PAYETTE) 208-642-3567 4/22/2021 N/A
5/11/2021 HIDEAWAY GRILL 208-642-4433 5/13/2021 4/21/2021
6/8/2021 JIMBO'S 208-739-9092 6/10/2021 5/19/2021
7/6/2021 DOUBLE DIAMOND STKHOUSE (1 WK) 208-278-9282 7/8/2021 6/16/2021
8/17/2021 HIDEAWAY GRILL 208-642-4433 8/19/2021 7/28/2021
9/7/2021 JIMBO'S 208-739-9092 9/9/2021 8/18/2021
10/12/2021 SALSA GRILL 208-642-6123 10/14/2021 9/22/2021
11/16/2021 MANDARIN RESTAURANT (PAYETTE) 208-642-3567 11/18/2021 10/27/2021
12/7/2021 DOUBLE DIAMOND STKHOUSE (1 WK) 208-278-9282 12/9/2021 11/17/2021
Read more ...
Page 1 of 2
Courthouse location

Payette County,
1130 3rd. Ave. N., Payette, Id. 83661

Get Directions
Contact us

Contact Information

Email Directory
General Courthouse Hours

Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM